Wednesday, January 16, 2013

favourites: movies;


Here's a fact about me:  I am a movie junkie.  My attention span is too short for books, and my schedule often means I don't get to watch any tv, but I always have time for movies!  For me, a trip to the cinema is always an occasion, and despite being able to record from the tv and stream online, I still insist on buying dvds.  I find it much easier to sleep with a movie playing in the background, and I have specific movies that I watch depending on my mood.  I just like 'em.  In no particular order (it was difficult enough narrowing it down to five, believe me), these are my top five favourite movies of all time.

(1) The Snapper:  Though this boxset as a whole is unreal, The Snapper is my favourite of the three.  The Snapper is about a girl called Sharon Curley, who gets pregnant and refuses to tell anyone who the father is. Firstly, it's Irish.  'Nuff said.  Secondly, it's hilarious!  Irish humour at it's best.  Thirdly, Colm Meaney is my favourite human.  It's an absolute classic, I'd recommend it to anyone!

(2) Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium:  Dustin Hoffman is also my favourite human.  This is the story of teh eccentric Mr. Magorium, his magical toy shop, and the story of what happens when he gives ownership of the shop to the store manager, Molly Mahoney.  I first saw this movie while babysitting my younger cousins, and it blew me away.  It has a much deeper meaning than anyone watching it as just a kids' movie will ever understand.  I don't want to give any of the story away (I really, really want all of you to watch this), but I will tell you that this movie truly taught me to be more positive.  It just makes me feel so happy.  I'm getting emotional just thinking about it!

(3) The Sound of Music:  A classic, I'm sure this one needs no explanation.  This is what I call a feel-good flick, and it's something that I put on when I've a few hours to myself and I need a bit of cheering up.  There's  no better feeling than snuggling up with a good cup of tea and belting out to the words to all the songs.  I think everyone wanted a Maria in their lives at least once, I know I did!

(4) Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging:  I will never, ever get tired of this! It's about 14-year-old Georgia Nicholson, and her venture into the world of crushes and kisses.  This movie is full of cringey stories, quirky slang words, and teenage angst, which I can totally relate to.  It's a little bit ridiculous (which tbh it what I like most about it) and you either love it or hate it, but I can't get enough of it!  I wish Georgia's life was my life.

(5) Mary Poppins:  Last, but certainly not least.  I can't remember the first time I saw this, because I was just a baby!  Mary Poppins is a magical nanny (practically perfect in every way) who comes to work for Mr. Banks and his family.  Even as an infant, I was a movie lover, and my parents tell me that I often refused to settle unless Mary Poppins was playing.  I've watched it so many times that I burned through the tape on my VHS!  Hopefully my DVD proves more durable.  This is something I turn to when I want something easy going and lighthearted to watch, and I'll never be bored with it.  It's been my favourite with 21 years now, I don't think that will change any time soon!

As you can see, the majority of these are kids' movies, but there's a reason for that!  I often watch movies when I have some time off from my busy schedule, when I want to unwind and relax, so I much prefer easy going, easy to watch movies that give me a bit of a giggle and lift my spirits.  Now, don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for a high-powered, suspense-filled, heartstring-tugging action/drama/thriller/horror movies (horror/gore movies are another favourite of mine.  Opposites, much?), but I've always been drawn to kids' movies.  

What are your favourite movies?  Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. ive only seen 2 of those..i should check out the others! thanks for the suggestions

    new follower :)

    www.thebechtholts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Which two? :)
      & thank you, I'll be sure to follow back! x

      Delete
  2. Thank you :) I'll be sure to take a look! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love angus thongs and perfect snogging. georgia is basically me - what a state. haha :)

    my favourite film is matilda <3 hehe.
    newest follower!
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matilda! Yes, always a classic. Thanks for following, miss :) x

      Delete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I promise to read and reply to them all! New followers, be sure to leave your URL and say hello! x